Centre for Multiparty Democracy Institute of Leadership and Governance is registered as a Limited Company by Guarantee.
The need to set up CMD Institute of Leadership and Governance (herein after referred to as the Institute) comes against a backdrop of mounting pressure to consolidate democracy in Kenya, Eastern Africa, and Africa at large, while taking into account the little attention that political parties and other players tend to receive as targets for democracy support.
There is an assumption that political players have the necessary knowhow and skills to deal with the ever mounting challenges entailed in consolidation and strengthening of democracy. This assumption has no doubt created a significant gap in the efforts to consolidate democracy. It is increasingly becoming apparent that the challenges facing political parties and politicians require competencies arising from knowledge, skills and, experience.
The Centre for Multiparty Democracy (CMD) – Kenya has identified insufficiency in leadership and governance and has therefore embarked on exploring possibilities for it to play a proactive and leading role in providing tailor made, systematic and comprehensive capacity building programs for political parties, persons and organizations in the political milieu, and in leadership and governance generally by way of establishing a leadership institute.
The evidence shows that political parties, political leaders, and leaders generally, in most African countries, hardly undergo any prior political or leadership and governance training before taking on leadership positions, nor do the political parties themselves have deliberate internal capacity building programs for their members.
The broad objectives of this business plan are, namely;
- To provide a written guide for starting and managing the CMD Institute of Leadership & Governance as a capacity building institution;
- To be a marketing tool for obtaining and mobilising resources, including finance, from various sources;
- To generate sufficient sustainability to finance future growth and to provide the resources needed to achieve the other objectives of the Institute and its owner;
- To produce a framework capable of growing the business at a rate that is both challenging and manageable, leading the market with innovation and adaptability;
- To be an asset to African countries and communities.
Purpose, Vision and Mission
The CMD Institute of Leadership & Governance strategic direction is simple and straightforward: Purpose – The Institute exists to provide quality training, education and, research in the areas of political leadership, management, and governance at all levels within Africa.
- The Vision of the CMD Institute of Leadership & Governance is “To be a model Leadership and Governance centre of excellence that offers quality and distinctive learning opportunities”
- The Mission is “To contribute to democracy by providing the preferred leadership & governance training and development for political leadership and governance in Kenya and Africa.”
- Motto – “Taasisi ya Uongozi Bora”.
The CMD Institute of Leadership & Governance is a Company Limited by Guarantee.
The CMD Institute of Leadership & Governance is located at the Centre for Multiparty Democracy (CMD) – Kenya offices, 6th Floor, International House, Mama Ngina Street, Nairobi CBD
The CMD Institute of Leadership & Governance will be sponsored by CMD-Kenya.