The Centre for Multiparty Democracy, CMD-Kenya is a political parties-based membership organization established in March 2004. The mandate is to enhance multiparty democracy and strengthen the institutional capacity of political parties in Kenya through policy influence and capacity building. The organization provides a platform for political parties, political actors and policy makers to engage in dialogue and cooperate in strengthening multiparty democracy. CMD-Kenya works closely with political parties, political actors, strategic partners and key stakeholders in promoting social justice, political governance best practices, respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms.
The Vision of CMD-Kenya is “a multi-party democratic Kenyan society that is issue based, people-centred, and accountable to the public.”
The Mission of CMD-Kenya is “to facilitate the institutionalisation of multiparty democracy through policy influence and capacity building of political parties in Kenya”.
Our Core Values
CMD-Kenya upholds the following core values and guiding principles which define how it pursues its mandate, strategic intent and relates with its stakeholders:
- Strengthen the capacity of political parties to be effective in deepening and consolidating democratic governance in Kenya.
- Engage in advocacy and civic education in order to create a level playing field for all political parties.
- Facilitate political parties to develop and enforce a code of conduct and other ethical standards to ensure internal party democracy, mutual respect and participatory decision making.
- Be a platform of dialogue and building of consensus on important national issues amongst political parties.
- Enhance gender equity and effective participation and representation at all levels in the management of political parties.
- Support the efforts of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission and election monitors to enhance free and fair party elections, general elections, by-elections, and other elections to public offices.
- Familiarize with all published bills and discuss them with political parties before they are debated and enacted.
- Promote good governance, transparency, and accountability within and amongst political parties.
- Empower political parties to mobilize resources for their activities.