CMD-Kenya was established by political parties in Kenya, who are also its members, and registered as a trust in 2004. The formation was informed by the need for an all-inclusive political party forum for discussing the needed reforms and for developing parameters along which future bilateral assistance to political parties could be managed. Moreover, CMD-Kenya establishment was inspired by similar initiatives and experiences of the Netherlands Institute for Multiparty Democracy [NIMD] in Ghana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania and Mozambique. Since 2004, CMD-Kenya has played a central role in the democratic transition processes in Kenya working with both opposition and ruling parties. We are very well connected with nearly all the central players on the democracy-support scene in Kenya. We are well respected and accepted by political parties and players across the political divide.
To promote the institutionalization of vibrant and democratic political parties capable of enhancing and perpetuating multiparty democracy in Kenya.
The mission of CMD-Kenya is to facilitate the growth of and perpetuate multiparty democracy through the capacity building of political member parties in Kenya.
The General Meeting held annually is the highest decision making organ of CMD-Kenya. Each member political party is represented by 3 delegates at the General Meeting. The Oversight Board comprises one representative from each of the member party and is the principle policy making organ. A team of 11 members that form the Steering Committee are elected after every 3 years during the General Meeting. The Steering Committee is charged with the responsibility of offering strategic leadership in order to realize the vision and mission of CMD-Kenya. The day to day operations and implementation of the policies of CMD-Kenya are run by a Secretariat.
- Strengthen the capacity of political parties to be effective in deepening and consolidating democratic governance in Kenya.
- Engage in advocacy and civic education in order to create a level playing field for all political parties.
- Facilitate political parties to develop and enforce a code of conduct and other ethical standards to ensure internal party democracy, mutual respect and participatory decision making.
- Be a platform of dialogue and building of consensus on important national issues amongst political parties.
- Enhance gender equity and effective participation and representation at all levels in the management of political parties.
- Support the efforts of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission and election monitors to enhance free and fair party elections, general elections, by-elections, and other elections to public offices.
- Familiarize with all published bills and discuss them with political parties before they are debated and enacted.
- Promote good governance, transparency, and accountability within and amongst political parties.
- Empower political parties to mobilize resources for their activities.